Thursday, December 2, 2010

Frazzled

My body recently informed me that I needed to slow down and take care of myself. The nauseated, dizzy, hot sweat, sleepless night I experienced a few nights ago was when that wake-up call was ordered. It kinda felt like an anxiety attack that lasted 5-6 hours, minus the shortness of breath's. IT was scary and painful and horrible. I have since gone to bed by 9pm each night since and have gotten (although interrupted), 7-8 hours of sleep a night, as opposed to the normal 4-5 I had been getting in the past.

Yet, my house is a mess, laundry is everywhere, dishes are piling up. I haven't made a decent meal since and I'm pretty sure I need to get some bills paid. I have lost a number of things, my mind being one of them, and am frustrated I can't find them.

But dangit, really...how do other mom's stay on top of things, or even close to on top of things? And I don't mean sparkling toilets and closets full of color coded clothing. I am talking about just keeping enough underwear clean for the 3 year old or the dining room table clear enough to eat a meal on. i am not talking about perfection people, I am talking about survival. How do people do it? What am I doing wrong?

I'm not lazy. I don't spend all day laying on the couch while the children destroy the place. I rarely blog anymore and I hate it. I work part-time, but not enough to make this all impossible.

Or is it? Am I expecting too much to just be caught up on laundry and dishes? I just can't imagine most other mom's being in the position, why am i? Is this common of a mom of two toddlers?

Someone please enlighten me. Because really, if I can't manage to find matching socks for Jonah because they are either dirty or lost, I am going to go insane.

***And don't forget to enter my giveaway of a $50 gift card to 77 Kids (kids clothing line of American Eagle, really cute stuff!). Ends Tuesday, but you can enter EVERY DAY to increase your chances.***

3 comments:

Cathy said...

None of us have it *all* together and most of us are just really good at covering up our epic failures/ inadequacies/scorch marks. If you haven't already stumbled across this gem of a blog, here's proof that we are all floundering...

http://www.rantsfrommommyland.com/

Toni said...

Yes, it's especially normal for a mother of two little ones! It took me years to realize everything will never all be done at once...nor is there ever such a thing as "getting caught up." It's just life. In the meantime, I can suggest: getting rid of "stuff." When toys or items don't have a "home", guess where they end up? Start dwindling toys so that each one has a place on a shelf or in a bin. That also helps the children know where to put them when it's "clean up time." Also, you can drive yourself crazy moving from one thing to the next and never getting anything fully finished. Try to stay on task until you are satisfied with the job. Also - sometimes giving yourself a time limit will help...it's really amazing what you can get done in 20 minutes when you are racing against the clock. :)

johnsonsbasement said...

Hey, I know how you feel. I recently found a column in The Times by syndicated columnist Marni Jameson that addressed some of these issues. I did some research and found her website www.marnijameson.com and bought both of her books. "House of Havoc" is a great read and is full of tips on organizing your house and your life. It's an ongoing process here, but I think it's been alot easier lately.