Thursday, August 11, 2011

My Turn to be Pretty ~ Part One

It's always something.

Dishes to wash. Laundry to do. Toys to pick up. Toilets to clean.

Oh wait. When's the last time I showered? Did I brush my teeth today? When is the last time a razor has glided across my legs?

That's right. I can't remember. Or maybe, if I think real hard, and the kids are sleeping, and I have every, single chore in the house that needs to be done, just that....done; then maybe I'd be able to figure it out. But we know.....we all know, that never happens.

You see, down time is something I never see. "Down Time", can also be termed "Me Time", "Alone Time". or "If I Don't Get 5 Minutes to Myself, I May Spontaneously Combust - Time". They all have very similar meanings, but it's the repercussion to look out for. As each occur, the backlash of not getting 'said' time is worse and worse. Seeing me on the 'spontaneously combust' one certainly is not pretty. Kind of one of those 'don't look me in the eye' moments, I become like Medusa, and no one made it out alive when it came to her. It gets all Clash of the Titans in here.


Luckily, when a little angel whispered in my ear that he'd like to give me a special time, a time to feel pretty and a time for just ME. That angel was jon-david, blogger, author, master stylist and one of Chicago's top colorist's, who works at Joseph Michaels Salon & Spa in the beautiful Gold Coast of downtown Chicago. It's one of those places that doesn't seem real, until you step inside and realize that it is real, and it is beautiful, and even more so, full of people that are beautiful, inside and out and want to make your day full of all sorts of amazingness.

I wasn't sure what to expect, so when I made the phone call to make my appointment, I was put through to Lauren (can you believe she is from northwest indiana too?!), who would be doing my hair. We talked about what I was wanting done and she was so nice, soooooo nice. I felt instantly comfortable with her.

So this "ME" day finally came, and I was already excited because I got to drive into the city, alone. No kids screaming or asking me questions, no DVD player blaring Barney or The Wiggles. It was just ME, and my NKOTBSB CD (dude...don't laugh!). It was a Saturday, so traffic was minimal and the sun was shining and I didn't even get flicked off for being an "Indiana Driver", so it was great! I parked my car (hello....validated valet? Yes! Please!) and crossed the street. I walked in and was greeted by two really polite and friendly people behind the desk, was directed to a pretty cool waiting area and offered a beverage....but even at this point, I was still nervous. I hadn't gotten my hair cut in over a year, let alone been in a swanky salon, like....ever. But I was ready....ready to move on from this....move on to a new ME!


Come back next week, I'll have the "after" shots, as well as some valuable information on one of the hottest hair trends that you can find right now, as well as some Do's and Don'ts that you certainly don't want to miss!


** jon-david's book, Mafia Hairdresser is amazing! I am in the middle of reading it and it's awesome. I don't get past the first chapter in many books, so it speaks volumes that I am about half way through it already!**


**Wanna see more of Joseph Michael's Salon & Spa OUTSIDE of the salon? Friday August 12, 2011, the salon is the EXCLUSIVE hair stylists for Macy's Glamorama Chicago 2011 Fashion Show. Tickets are still available, so certainly GO if you can attend. Cee Lo Green and Far East Movement are set to perform and ticket sales will be benefitting the Ronald McDonald Houses of Chicago and Northwest Indiana (an organization that I hold near and dear to my heart, these people are amazing and do a wonderful thing for families that need to travel for their children's health care, we know this through personal experience. They are saints!)**

Full Disclosure: I was graciously gifted a day at the salon where I was treated like a princess by the staff of Joseph Michaels Salon & Spa. Compensation, gifting, or monetary stipends mean nothing when it comes to giving a truthful and honest review of any product, company, or service I chose to cover on Mommy Instincts. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly.

No comments: