Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Extra Step


It's been a long 13 months since Lily was born. We had it rough in the beginning and my adjustment phase of going from a mother of one to a mother of two was a slow process.

i don't accept change easily.

But as long and drawn out as I feel 13 months have been, it really hasn't. It has flown by at warp speed, all a blur and a bit cloudy in my head.

You'd think by now I'd be accustomed to leaving the house by myself with both of them. But let me tell you, it is one tough task to go out in public with these 2 kiddo's.

But I set all of that aside and started new. We spent a few hours of the morning a few days ago at our local zoo.

The "local" zoo is pretty stark. They don't have a whole lot of animals and the exhibits leave much to be desired. But it is the perfect zoo for the trip I was looking for. Not too much ground to cover, the 3 of us got in for $10, parking was free, and it is less than 20 minutes from my house. It wasn't busy AT ALL, so it kinda felt like our own private fun spot. Not only was the trip something for the kids to enjoy and learn from, it was for me to learn from too. I've been wanting to shake this fear I have of being able to handle public places with my kids. And they aren't bad kids, not at all! It's just that I am not physically capable of keeping up with both of them, simultaneously. One runs one way, one runs the other. Jonah's trying to climb the fence and Lily is trying to kiss a goat. Jonah wants to see the Tiger's, Lily wants to eat the dirt. Like really, couldn't they BOTH want to eat the dirt? Now THAT, I could handle. ;-)

BUT.....we did it any way, and this was the end result....



Two super happy kiddos that made for a super happy mom.

So i think in the future, i will push myself a little farther out of my comfort zone. Because it isn't the days we stayed home and avoided that extra step that I will remember, but the days that I took those few extra steps to do something meaningful for my kids, that will always result in something meaningful for me.....for us.

No comments: