Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Gettin' By.

I'm feeling a little off today.

Not sure if it is a result of the holiday week. Or if it has something to do with us battling whatever nasty bug made the little guy sick for a few days. Maybe it's the shortened work week of my husband. He only worked on Tuesday this week. He stayed home Monday, and had already scheduled vacation days for today (Wednesday) and Friday.

Things are always a little off whack when he's home. The boy doesn't nap well, I find myself relying on him to do a lot more when he's here. He of curse doesn't like this. But frankly, I feel as though I deserve a little help when it is here, particularly when that "help" is laying on the couch watching TV, as I (yes, the 26 week pregnant one), is cleaning the house for HIS family to come over tomorrow. He does little bits here and there, and sometimes tends to the boy when he needs something. But truly, for the most part, it is all me.

Now tell me, I am wrong to expect his help when he is home? I also work a part time job, 4 days a week, and when I am not working, I am being a mommy, a housewife, and a cleaning lady. Lately, I have kept up with keeping our house on a pretty strict cleaning schedule, only requiring the hubby to take out the garbage and clean the litter boxes twice a week. When HE is not at work (yes, he works a full time job, Monday-Friday..sometimes, up to 10 hours a day). He also is taking online courses in order to get his Master's Degree, as well as plays on a weekly indoor soccer team in a town about 30 minutes away.

I love taking care of my family, I really do. I just wish that I felt a bit more appreciated, and was offered the help when it was available. I just have to say that the more my pregnancy progresses, the more tired, worn-out, and exhausted I feel, so keeping up like this is becoming really difficult.

So ladies, other mama's out there. Tell me. Is it wrong for me to expect his help? Or is it just plain, my job as a wife and mother to tend to the house, the children, and everything else domestic? I'd love your input, because I am going CRAZY here! Thanks!!


post signature

3 comments:

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

I don't think it's wrong at all. My husband shares the cooking and cleaning duties with me equally. I wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes, I have to remind him about things and even show him how things need to be done, but he does it nonetheless. I'm sorry that you're struggling, and I hope he starts pulling his weight around the house.

lynnsdecor said...

You not wrong.
Now, When I was pregnant, (I was very sick most of pregnancy) my husband tried to do everything. But two years later, different story, I am doing all of it. He also throws our schedule off when he is home. If I was pregnant again, I'd be giving him holy hell. As it is, I get crazy for help 2 days a month (I have HORRIBLE periods and can barely get off the couch the first two days)
But, the one thing I learned is that guys have NO idea how taxing being pregnant is. It doesn't seem to get in their brains that it is WORK to grow a human being.
I hope you can talk this out with him and that he will 'get with it'.
My husband got a little bit better when I took off for a day to myself. I came home to a MESS and he used the excuse, " I was playing with Kayla all day" And I had to ask him if the house looked that way when HE gets home. I play with her too, but things still need to get done. And I swear I saw a light bulb above his head.
Good luck, hang in there.

Erin said...

Not at all wrong! When I was on maternity leave, my husband and I struggled with this. I'd want to hand him the baby as soon as he walked in the door, while he'd want to sit and relax. After talking about it, I'd give him an hour or so grace, then he'd help with Luke and cleaning.