Monday, August 9, 2010

Taking the family to the 2010 92nd Annual PGA Championship

Being a family that has been hit hard by the financial losses of the economy, I am always on the lookout for fun events and trips I can do with my family that keep us under our budget. Luckily, the PGA has stepped up and given families like ours a way to have fun and not spend a fortune doing so.


I come from a family that golfs. My mother golfs. My father golfs. My step-dad & brother golf. Coincidentally, I also married a man who loves to golf. And recently, this love of golf has been handed down to my 3 year old son. Yeah, you get the picture. I even tried golf once. I actually did fairly well, too. Yet, I don't have much free time these days to pursue hobby's outside the walls of my own home, let alone a hobby that I can't drag the kids along with me to, so my golf game is completely and totally non-existent.


This weekend, my family and I are getting a chance to attend the 2010 92nd Annual PGA Championship that will be taking place at Whistling Straits in Kohler, Wisconsin.  It's not too far of a drive, and we are actually staying in Milwaukee for the weekend. It's going to be great getting a chance to spend some quality one-on-one time with my family, not to mention seeing some of Jonah's favorite golfer's up close and personal. For example Tiger Woods,Jim Furyk, Vijay Singh, and (MY personal favorites) Sergio Garcia and Luke Donald (hoping all of them make the cut of course!).


There are some exciting details regarding this event that I would love to share with you as well.  The PGA has announced, that for the first time ever, FOUR kids under the age of 17 get in FREE with the purchase of just ONE adult ticket! So if you would like to make a fun day event, just think of the money you'd save by bringing the kids along. And with Kohler being such a gorgeous town and the PGA being such a family-friendly event, it really is something all my local Midwestern readers should look in to for this weekend.  Tickets are still available for the Practice days (Today-Wednesday) leading up to the championship, as well as the championship days (Thursday-Sunday).


I got a chance to look over the PGA Spectators Guide, so I will be better equipped with taking my family to an event like this.  I think it's important, as a mother to two young kids, to be well prepared so no surprises occur at the gate or while in the event. By reading it, I learned that I can't take my phone or camera in (no live tweeting, sorry!) and where First Aid Stations are located.  I do wonder how I will be able to keep my kids quiet at the appropriate times, but this is something I am hoping the PGA is prepared to handle and accommodate parents to, since the inclusion of children at these events is becoming more prevalent. I can't wait to let you all know how it goes in my post-event wrap up!


The PGA is even hosted a Twitter chat last Thursday with the head professional of Whistling Straits and the PGA Championship Director, Barry Deach.  You can see a transcript of the chat HERE. Not to mention,  I really love seeing the PGA becoming so Social Media savvy!


Here are a few links for you, so you can learn more about the PGA! You can follow them on Twitter or touch base with them on Facebook, too!

*2010 PGA Championship Tickets: http://bit.ly/PGATickets2010
*2010 PGA Championship Information: http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/2010/
*For Accommodations and Information about Blackwolf Run & Whistling Straits: http://www.destinationkohler.com/
*Become a Fan of Blackwolf Run & Whistling Straits on Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/kohlergolf
*Discover the Destination KOHLER resort on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/destinationkohler
*Become a fan of PGA Championship on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/PGA2010
*Follow the PGA on Twitter:  www.twitter.com/2010pga
*Check out the PGA Spectators Guide for all your day-of details: 
http://bit.ly/PGAChampGuide

If you decide to go, have a great time, and if not, watch for me on TV; the Championship will be broadcast, just check your local listing!

disclosure: The PGA gifted me tickets so my family and I could attend the event. This in no way will skew my opinions of the event and what I share with you. As always, I vow to be honest and truthful when bringing products, services, and companies to you. Please feel free to contact me with any questions!

No comments: