Sunday, April 4, 2010

this day

I read him to sleep again tonight. The words of "Guess How Much I Love You?" and "Kiss Goodnight" soothe my soul as I ever so slowly recite the same words I have been reciting to him each and every single night for the last few weeks. Even after days like today, when I am pushed to my limit and I am straining myself to make it to the end of the day, I find myself engulfing the words of these teeny tiny board books. These books hold the depth and meaning of the relationship between a my son and I.

We had a busy weekend, pushed the kids further than usual. We spent time at our family's houses, the kids ate too much candy, and I spent a majority of my days making sure Lily didn't fall down a flight of stairs at both my mother and my husband's parents house. She is so fast and determined and fearless. Those flights of stairs she has nearly plummeted down over and over and over today were my arch enemy. It is exhausting.

I snapped a few times, I had had it. I definitely would not have won Mother of the Year today, that's for sure (or any other award relating to being a wife, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, etc.....) I was a crab.

So time to buck up little solider. Pick myself back up. Brush myself off. Start over again tomorrow.

At least there aren't any stairs to encounter tomorrow.

No comments: